Listening to the Bush administration claiming last week that they were going to keep a closer eye on contractors in Iraq in order to prevent abuses, such as the unprovoked murder by Blackwater operatives of 17 Iraqi citizens, was an absolute joke. Now we have the results of the investigation which prove that it was unprovoked, but the US State department should have known this from the start -- it was a State department envoy that Blackwater was escorting when they committed these murderous acts.
A completed Iraqi government inquiry found that employees of the American security company Blackwater USA shot unprovoked at Iraqi civilians at a downtown traffic circle three weeks ago, an episode that killed 17 people and wounded more than 20 others, a government spokesman said Sunday.
The four-vehicle Blackwater convoy, which had stopped at Nisoor Square on Sept. 16 to seal off traffic for another convoy carrying State Department officials, "wasn't even hit by a stone," much less hostile gunfire when Blackwater guards began shooting at unarmed civilians, government spokesman, Ali al-Dabbagh, said.
Expecting the Bush administration to clean up the Blackwater situation is pointless. As documented earlier, not only does Bush have ties to Blackwater, but the State Department inspector general Howard Krongard is already under investigation for multiple reports of him threatening retaliation against State department employees who voluntarily speak to investigators about contractors.
Before today's results of the Iraqi investigation showing the attack was unprovoked there were journalists already bringing facts to light which showed the State department is 'dirty', and not to be trusted on this issue:
We'll have more on Blackwater here at Wizbang Blue as the situation develops.
Note: Wizbang Blue is now closed and our authors have moved on. Paul Hooson can now be found at Wizbang Pop!. Please come see him there!